About six miles from Maastricht, in the Netherlands, lie buried 8,301 American soldiers who died in "Operation Market Garden" in the battles to liberate Holland in the fall winter of 1944.
Every one of the men buried in the cemetery, as well as those in the Canadian and British military cemeteries, has been adopted by a Dutch family who mind the grave, decorate it, and keep alive the memory of the soldier they have adopted. It is even the custom to keep a portrait of "their" American soldier in a place of honor in their home.
Annually, on "Liberation Day," memorial services are held for "the men who died to liberate Holland." The day concludes with a concert. The final piece is always "Il Silenzio," a memorial piece commissioned by the Dutch and first played in 1965 on the 20th anniversary of Holland's liberation. It has been the concluding piece of the memorial concert ever since.
This year the soloist was a 13-year-old Dutch girl, Melissa Venema, backed by Andre' Rieu and his orchestra (the Royal Orchestra of the Netherlands).
This beautiful concert piece is based upon the original version of taps and was composed by Italian composer Nino Rossi.
http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm click here When viedo opens click the square in lower right corner to enlarge video to Full Page.
World War II American Soldiers, in alphabetical order:
1. The American Cemetery at Aisne-Marne, France... A total of 2289
2. The American Cemetery at Ardennes, Belgium... A total of 5329
3. The American Cemetery at Brittany, France... A total of 4410
4. Brookwood, England - American Cemetery... A total of 468
5. Cambridge, England... A total of 3812
6. Epinal, France - American Cemetery... A total of 5525
7. Flanders Field, Belgium... A total of 368
8. Florence, Italy... A total of 4402
9. Henri-Chapelle, Belgium... A total of 7992
10. Lorraine , France... A total of 10,489
11. Luxembourg, Luxembourg... A total of 5076
12. Meuse-Argonne... A total of 14,246
13. Netherlands, Netherlands... A total of 8301
14. Normandy, France... A total of 9387
15. Oise-Aisne, France... A total of 6012
16. Rhone, France... A total of 861
17. Sicily, Italy... A total of 7861
18. Somme, France... A total of 1844
19. St. Mihiel, France... A total of 4153
20. Suresnes, France... A total of 1541
The count is 104,366 dead, brave Americans. Of these and the 10's of 1,000's that stormed the Normandy and Omah Beaches and Prayed to our Creator Jesus Christ for Mercy as they were staging in their Battlefields and off the Beaches of France, Italy and the South Pacific, did a Single One of these most Worthy Heroes of Freedom ever imagine for one second that their decendants would ever kick Jesus Christ out of our Schools and Governments? And, stand by and allow it to go on since, 1962 (52 years).
Listen to El Solencio (The Silence) and consider do you and I have the Heart and Resolve to brave the endless meetings and work it will take to put our Creator back into our Schools? Have we had enough of congress, educators, judges and bureacrats lying to our Children?